Labour of Love

My mom rubbed my belly saying, “Grandma’s here, time to come out!” My mom was watching a movie while I was trying to cook dinner. Every time I had a contraction I would start speed walking around my house or sit on the toilet for relief. Eventually she said it was time to go to the hospital because my contractions had been regular for over an hour. I honestly thought that the hospital was going to end up sending me back home. I didn’t believe I was actually in labour.

On the way and at the hospital, I tried calling Hubby several times. I got one of those automated messages that said “I’m busy, call back later”. When he finally reached the hospital, the doctor said I was dilated 2cm and instructed me to walk around for a couple hours to get an idea of how quickly my labour was progressing. After 2 hours, I was 5cm dilated and officially admitted into the hospital at midnight. For hours I kept walking around, moving my hips, sitting on the toilet to help manage the pain.

I was becoming so exhausted, I wanted to just collapse on the floor.

I kept contemplating using another method for pain relief, such as an epidural but my goal was to have a natural birth so I kept telling myself to wait a little longer. When I reached 7cm dilated, the doctor gave me the option of having my water broken. I had read that some people described their water breaking as a short feeling of relief. There was also a small possibility it could speed things up so I went for it. I laid on the bed and they used some kind of instrument to penetrate the amniotic sac. Unfortunately, I found this experience to be incredibly disturbing. The whole time I had this imagery in my head of them using a coat hanger to rip open the sac. In the future, I would rather just let my water break naturally.

Soon after, I had a strong urge to start pushing. I kept saying, “The baby’s coming! The baby’s coming!” My mom, of course, was laughing at me like no it’s not, you have to push first. I was like, “I am pushing!” My mom called the doctor in and she stood at the end of the bed with another nurse. I was slowly getting the hang of pushing. You have to lean forward, tilt your pelvis down, take a deep breath and push for 10 seconds, then take another breath and push for another 10 seconds all at the same time during each contraction. I saw the doctor and nurse just standing there and said, “Is anything happening?” The doctor informed me that it can take some time to push the baby out. I asked how long? The nurse said it could take up to 2 hours!

That’s when I just went in the zone. There was no way in hell I was doing this for 2 more hours!

I really focused on pushing as hard as I could during the contractions. It was super helpful to have my mom there to count down each push. I would highly recommend having your mom or even a doula there to focus on helping and supporting you. After a couple pushes my mom said, “It’s a boy!”

I was so overwhelmed with shock. Finally he was here! They put him on my chest immediately and he just laid there all cuddled up. I was a little worried that he wasn’t crying but they said he was fine. Hubby cut the umbilical cord after a few minutes. They weighed him to be 6 pounds 8 ounces.

He was perfect.

Afterwards you have to deliver the placenta. It is such a gross felling to have them pulling on the umbilical cord. I really wish I had a special place to bury the placenta with a tree because it’s full of nutrients that are good for the Earth but, unfortunately, I am not tied down to one place where I could have kept visiting. I ended up having to get stitches. By this time my legs were so exhausted, they were shaking and I could barely hold them up. The doctor was about to give a needle for freezing when I suggested someone else hold the baby in case I dropped him. The nurses laughed and said, “You just endured natural childbirth, a needle is nothing!”

Luckily my recovery was very smooth. I bounced back almost immediately. After getting the hang of breastfeeding, I was discharged from the hospital and returned home as a mother!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *